Sunday, May 21, 2017

The State of the Sarah Address: Why 25 was the weirdest year of my life

“There will be a few times in your life when all your instincts will tell you to do something, something that defies logic, upsets your plans, and may seem crazy to others. When that happens, you do it. Listen to your instincts and ignore everything else. Ignore logic, ignore the odds, ignore the complications, and just go for it.” — Judith McNaught, Remember When


If there could be a quote that would sum up my year of 25-ness, it would be that one. My 25th year turned everything upside down; it threw me curveballs; it brought great anxiety and great joy; it brought a new city, a new community and new relationships. 25 was a wild ride (which is ironically the name of my favorite brewery, discovered in my 25th year).

I remember when 25 seemed old. I had such a different view of where I'd be at this point in my life, but as it is with so many things, God had other plans for the big 2-5. And it got a little weird. But goodness, was it a great year.

So why was this year so weird?! Let me sum up my 25th year in five little points...

1. I left my comfy, well-paying desk job... to plant a church....200 miles away.
"Oh how fulfilling!" is probably along the lines of what's going through your head as you read the first reason, and you're completely right. This was one of the most unexpected, challenging, amazing things I've ever been associated with. (For more on how I ended up with the church plant, read THIS...aka click that link...it's not a trap I swear...) After the excitement of moving to Bend and all that accompanied it, I realized that planting a church is not easy, and I was one of the ones who had it easiest. It involved planning and, dare I say it, actually going to church every weekend! This was made even harder by the fact that I was working an hourly, minimum wage job so shifts were necessary and oftentimes conflicting with church events. This life change was huge and brought lots of big questions, which lead to the next point...

2. I decided to change careers and go back to school.
Again, "How fulfilling!" and again you'd be right, but definitely weird. Going from the career world back to school was a tough transition. I had already finished the school phase, hadn't I? I earned my bachelor's degree four years ago and here I am, back in a career/trade school, working my butt off for round two. The transition was HARD, especially working and going to school, but I have found a career path that I truly love and look forward to. I'm finishing my first quarter of a century knowing that I have found a career that will bring me great joy.

3. Relationships. Nuff said.
We can take this one of two ways... Let's start with Platonic.
Friendships have been even more crucial in year 25. I have lost some, gained some, learned more about some, lessened ties with some and everything in between. All I can say is that if it hadn't been for my friendships this year, I would not have made it. Whether it was online friendships with people I've never met, friends that moved to Bend at a similar time, people who have known me my whole life or a new buddy I prayed with at church, the constant and inspiring show of friendship has been my life raft this year and for that, I thank you.

And now for the other way. I'd be leaving out a HUGE part of my 25th year if I didn't brag on my super duper boyfriend for a sec. We've hiked and adventured together, survived long-distance (which I hope we never have to do again), watched countless movies/tv shows, and laughed at all of the weird voices we both make on a regular basis. He'd probably be super embarrassed if he knew I was gushing about him on social media but that is one of the many wonderful things about dating me, so tough it out big guy! I am constantly amazed and grateful for how happy he makes me and without Mr. Isaac, 25 would have looked incredibly different.

4. I had to stop planning ahead.... as far.
Before I moved to Central Oregon, I could tell you my schedule three to six weeks in advanced and 9.5 out of 10 times, I'd be right. I planned ahead like a mildly crazy person. I had gym time, friend time, church time, and roomie time. I was consistent. But after my move over the mountains, all hell broke loose in my planner. I would get my schedule sometimes as short as two days in advance of my upcoming work week. That meant very little time for planning trips, visits, coffee dates, etc. That was the hardest change in year 25; spontaneity became a little more known to this girl. It's funny though because when I say spontaneity,  I mean I planned it two days ahead instead of two weeks or two months in advance. If you ask most people, my boyfriend included, that doesn't count, but I definitely count it. This lack of ability to get my calendar locked down meant that I needed to be more flexible... something I definitely needed help with. I still plan things in advance, but I have learned that consistency isn't the ONLY way, and that it's okay.

5. I appreciate getting a little bit older.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still a youngster in my mid twenties, but as my first 25 years are wrapping up, I am realizing how far I have come. As one of my younger co-workers pointed out the other day, my prom dress is 10 years old this year. I have friendships that have lasted 20+ years. I don't get carded at every single restaurant anymore... just most of them. I don't party that hard, or stay up super late or get tangled in silly drama like I did at the beginning of my 20's. I have learned so much in the first half of this decade. As silly as it sometimes sounds, I'm glad to be passed a lot of those little things, while still looking forward to what this phase has to offer. I guess I'm appreciating my very minute bits of wisdom that the first 25 years of my life have offered.

For those that know me, you know I'm a big sentimental sap so when I look back on year #25, I get a little misty eyed with some warm and fuzzies. Twenty five was weird. It knocked my pride down a lot. It taught me to ask for help. It taught me how to fall in love again with the best man I could have asked for. It taught me that friends will sometimes let you down, but they pick you up more often than not. I learned that I am growing SO much through this phase, but it has absolutely been for the better.

As one of my great hero's, J.K. Rowling, once said, "The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks mean that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift, for all that it is painfully won, and it has been worth more than any qualification I have ever earned."

So cheers to the next twenty five years on this spinning blue planet. Embrace the weirdness of your year.

No comments:

Post a Comment